Wednesday, February 27, 2013

EFFECTIVELY PREPARING YOUR CHILDREN FOR DEPLOYMENTS




When my oldest son Elijah was 5 years old I was pregnant with my second child and my husband was deployed. I had so much going on. There was a day my baby boy came into the room and said to me,"WHY IS DADDY NOT COMING HOME?" That is when I realized that I did not COMMUNICATE EFFECTIVELY that daddy was deployed. Before that moment, I am not sure if I myself fully grasped all the feelings this 5 year old child was trying to articulate.

During my conversation with him I reassured him that Daddy did in fact love us. That daddy was safe, and how SPECIAL he was to go away and serve his country. Did he understand me? I did my best to make him understand...





It is important to communicate this information to your child in a way that he/she will understand. This is strictly based on the child's age and their level of understanding.



I decided to make a calendar. I made a calender out of a poster board so that my son would better understand the amount of time daddy would be gone. Each day I would allow Elijah to mark off a day with a "X". He would be so excited. This seemed to relax him and it also involved him in the deployment process in a positive way.







Remember parents to be honest and EFFECTIVELY PREPARE YOUR CHILD FOR THIS DEPLOYMENT. 






LASHON CAMPBELL RESIDES IN OCEANWAY, FLORIDA WITH HER HUSBAND A NAVY COMMAND MASTER CHIEF AND THEIR 3 CHILDREN.
LASHON CAMPBELL
MOTHER OF 3
USN VETERAN

9 comments:

  1. I remember every deployment and every reaction from my children. This made me cry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning to you Jackie, So glad you took the time to post here on my blog. We can all remember the deployments, the emotions we felt that day, the way our kids reacted. I never imagined my son would react the way he did at that age. It made me re-think everything when it was time for a deployment. I just had to TALK TO MY KIDS and thats what I have been doing every since Jackie. So glad my story made you feel something. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MYA ANDERSON, FORT BLISSFebruary 4, 2012 at 1:45 AM

    LOVE YOUR BLOG LASHON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOD MORNING TO ALL ...Thanks for posting here on my blog...I Try to Share feelings often with my kids when their father is deployed. It has got to be the toughest time trying to solve everything solo and dealing with the mountain of questions that each child begins to ask. Encourage the kids to ask questions and spend lots of QUALITY TIME WITH THEM :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. Will make it my mantra for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your words are exactly what I needed this morning.

    ReplyDelete